Benefits for Residents
Professional Liability Coverage
As members of UNC Hospitals' Housestaff, you are covered for professional liability while performing approved residency activities, including off-site rotations. Moonlighting is excluded from coverage. Professional liability coverage is provided to residents as a benefit of employment. Coverage is provided on an occurrence basis. This means that a resident is covered for anything that occurs within the course and scope of his or her employment as a resident, even if a claim or a lawsuit is brought for that occurrence after the resident has left the Hospitals' employment. Coverage is triggered by an occurrence rather than a claim. Professional liability coverage is provided by the UNC Liability Insurance Trust Fund which is administered by the Legal Department of UNC Hospitals.
Housestaff may choose between two coverage options, a Low Plan and a Buy-Up Plan, administered by Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina. Your family members can also be covered with the premium being shared by you and your employer. Health insurance benefits, along with the employer contributions and the employee contributions, are reviewed annually and are subject to change.
Prescription drug coverage is also provided. Effective April 1, 2012, Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina has switched pharmacy benefits management from Medco to Prime Therapeutics. One of the new benefits offered by Prime is PrimeMail, a mail-service pharmacy option. For more information on the transition from Medco to Prime, click here.
If you experience a qualifying event, you may adjust your coverage online at EBenefitsNow.com. Please call the phone number at the bottom of the login screen if you need assistance with your password.
The monthly employee contributions for the current year - July 1, 2011 through June 30, 2012 - for the two plans are:
|Emp. only||Emp + Spouse||Emp + Child(ren)||Emp + Family|
UNC Hospitals' Office of Graduate Medical Education offers all residents and their dependents the opportunity to participate in a voluntary group dental plan. Two (2) plan options are offered through MetLife. This benefit is entirely funded by the resident. Premium costs are paid either via payroll deduction on a pre-tax basis for Housestaff on the Hospital's payroll or by personal check for those not on the Hospital's payroll.
Links to plan summaries for both plans offered and forms are included. Enrollment information is included in the Physician Benefit Packets mailed in the spring during the annual Open Enrollment period. Enrollment in a plan during your initial eligibility period eliminates any waiting period for any services. If you decide to enroll at a later date, there will be a 12 month "waiting period" for Major Services.
The monthly rates for the plan year - July 1, 2011 through June 30, 2012 - for the two plans are:
|Emp. Only||Emp. + Spouse||Emp. + Children||Emp. + Family|
|High Option Monthly||36.48||73.80||85.36||102.78|
Dental Online Enrollment
Advantages of Using an In-Network Dentist
Links to Dental Plans - Summaries (see last page for dental card)
MetLife Dental Plans Summary Spreadsheets with Highlights Information
Dental Claim Form
Domestic Partner Affidavit (only 1 affadavit required for all MetLife coverages)
Certificate of coverage for Low Plan - Option 1
Certificate of coverage for High Plan - Option 2
www.metlife.com/mybenefits for links to Preferred Dental Program (PDP) providers and claim status and coverage information. Company Name to enter: Office of Graduate Medical Education or OGME or P & A.
Life & AD&D Insurance
UNC Hospitals' – Office of Graduate Medical Education
Basic Life and AD&D Insurance – UNC Hospital PAYS for this benefit
- Benefits equal to 1 times salary
Optional Employee Life & AD&D Insurance
- Choice of an additional 1, 2, 3 or 4x Salary
- Maximum Benefit including Basic Life and AD&D: $625,000
- Guarantee Issue Amount (no Statement of Health form required during initial enrollment period): Additional 1x salary up to a total of $250,000 (Basic and Optional total)
- Enrollment information included in the Physician Benefit Packets mailed each spring. Additional amounts of coverage may be added during the Annual Open Enrollment Period each spring. Statement of Health is required.
Optional Dependent Life Insurance
- Spouse/Domestic Partner Benefit (requires a completed Domestic Partner Affidavit): $25,000
- Child(ren): $10,000 (each eligible child from 14 days up to age 26)
- Dependent Life Insurance is available without a Statement of Health form during initial enrollment period only (new hire)
Additional Benefits Included in Coverage
• Will preparation through Hyatt Legal - covers legal fees when using a participating attorney
• Travel Assistance administered by AXA - assistance when more than 100 miles from home
• Accelerated Benefit
• Portable upon termination or retirement
Monthly Cost: Employee/Spouse Rates
|Employee Age||Life InsuranceRate/|
Beneficiary Changes - Residents may make beneficiary changes by completing the Beneficiary Designation Form and submitting it to the OGME office.
Click here for Met Life Certificate
Click here for Rider to Child Definition
Click here for Statement of Health Form
Click here for Domestic Partner Affidavit (Only 1 form required for all MetLife coverages)
Click here for Beneficiary Designation Form
Click here for Will Preparation Brochure
Click here for Travel Assist Brochure
Click here for Portability or Conversion of Group Life Insurance Memo
Flexible Spending Accounts
Residents who are paid by UNC Hospitals or UNC School of Dentistry payrolls have the option of enrolling in Flexible Spending Accounts for health care and/or dependent care expenses. The money deposited into a Flexible Benefits Plan account is tax-free, and, therefore, it can only be used to pay for qualifying expenses. At the end of the plan year, if you have not claimed all of the money in your account, you forfeit the balance.
This disability insurance plan is intended to offer coverage that will provide you with continuing income in the event that an injury or illness prevents you from working.
- This plan covers 70% of your basic monthly earnings if you suffer from a disabling accident or illness on or off the job.
- The maximum monthly benefit is $3,500; the minimum monthly benefit covered under this plan is $100.
- Your covered salary is based on your stated annual salary.
- Benefit payments will begin after you have been unable to work for 90 days (elimination period) due to disability.
- Until age 65, you will receive benefit payments while you are unable to work in your own occupation.
- You will receive benefit payments until Social Security Normal Retirement Age while you remain disabled.
- This plan includes partial disability benefits. You must be totally disabled through the elimination period and receive one monthly payment for total disability. After the work incentive period, benefits payments are then reduced by 50% of your current monthly earnings.
- This plan includes a work incentive feature. We will not reduce our benefit by your part-time earnings for the first 12 months of partial employment, unless the sum of such earnings and our gross monthly benefit exceeds 100% of your prior earnings. If the total exceeds 100%, we deduct only the excess from our benefit.
- There is a $175,000 Lifetime benefit for Loan Payoff.
- Critical Disability Supplement - An additional 30% of monthly earnings up to $3,000 maximum.
- The cost of this insurance is paid entirely by your employer.
Conversion Option: You may convert your group disability coverage to individual coverage if your full-time employment ends.
For more information or if you have any questions about this policy please contact The Benefit Planning Group at 919-489-1720 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This summary serves as a highlight of your coverage. If there is a discrepancy between this summary and your benefit booklet, the benefit booklet prevails.
Supplemental Disability Coverage
In addition to the coverage provided above, voluntary options are also available. For more information, you may contact the following:
The Benefit Planning Group at 919-489-1720 or email@example.com
Hyatt Legal/MetLaw Plan
UNC Hospitals Office of Graduate Medical Education (OGME) offers residents and subspecialty residents the opportunity to enroll in a Voluntary Legal Plan offered by Hyatt Legal, a MetLife company. Hyatt Legal is the largest group legal plan provider in the country. Upon enrollment during the open enrollment period, coverage will begin July 1, 2011.
This is a full service legal plan, not a discount program. Covered services include important matters such as Wills & Trusts, Sale or Purchase of a home and other Real Estate Matters, Financial Matters, Traffic Offenses, Juvenile Matters, Identity Theft Defense, Debt Collection Defense, and much more.
- All legal services delivered by plan attorneys
- Direct payment of Plan Attorney fees by MetLaw for all covered matters
- No waiting periods, hour limits, page limits, claim forms, or co-pays for plan attorneys' covered services
- No pre-existing limitations unless an attorney has already been retained
- Out-of-network attorneys coverage. MetLaw provides a fee reimbursement schedule
- Great Customer service - Representatives answer the phone within 5 seconds during business hours
- A full service web site with an easy "Attorney Locator Search Engine" and many helpful resources
- An open enrollment period held once a year to coincide with annual benefit open enrollment period in late spring
- The plan is Portable at Group Rates
Enrollment information is included in the Physician Benefit Packets mailed each spring. The minimum enrollment period is one year. Re-enrollment is not required each year. Monthly rate - $15.75 per month. Premiums are paid by the participant via payroll deduction. Rates are guaranteed through June 30, 2013. Cost covers Employee, Spouse/Domestic Partner and Dependents.
Hyatt Legal Brochure
MetLaw Benefit Definitions and Reimbursements
Sample Enrollment Form
Domestic Partner Affidavit (Only 1 form necessary for all MetLife coverages)
Current Local Participating Law Firms as of June 2011
Hyatt Legal/MetLaw Information: To access complete information about the Legal Plan, go to www.legalplans.com, click on "Thinking About Enrolling?" and enter Password: MetLaw
Tax Deferred Savings
Residents on the UNC Hospitals payroll may invest in a 403(b) plan and save money from their current paychecks to use later at retirement. These plans are voluntary and residents may enroll at any time. UNC Health Care does not provide matching funds to these accounts.
As of January 1, 2009, TIAA-CREF and Fidelity are the 403(b) vendors available to UNC Health Care residents. Residents may speak to a Fidelity Investments representative at 919-451-3047 or with a TIAA-CREF representative at 919-401-7500.
Residents may open a 403(b) account online with Fidelity Investments by following the instructions below:
- Click here to enter the online enrollment site
- Click the "Enroll" button
- Use Plan ID 08310 and your SSN to begin your application
Residents may open a 403(b) account online with TIAA-CREF by following the instructions below:
- Click here to enter the online enrollment site
- Click the "Enroll Now!" button
- Click the "Enroll Now!" button on the next page
- Use Access Code NCJ786 to begin your application
Once your new account is opened, please submit a 2009 Salary Reduction Agreement to fund your account. Mail or bring the agreement to the GME office or fax to 919-966-0290.
Home and Auto Insurance
METPAY is a personal property insurance program offered through MetLife Auto and Home and is designed for the residents at UNC Hospital. The METPAY program is employee paid and gives you access to special group rates for auto, home, renters, and other types of insurance. With the low group rates and other discounts available, you could save 10% or more of your overall costs each year. This program offers the option convenience of payment through payroll deduction for those who are funded through the Hospitals' payroll.
Policies available through the Office of Graduate Medical Education METPAY program include:
- Mobile Home
- Recreational Vehicle
- Personal Excess Liability ("umbrella")
The METPAY brochure is included in the annual benefits packet you receive in May each year. MetLife sends out additional mailings during the year describing this benefit. You may contact the MetLife Insurance Consultant at any time to obtain quotes, apply for coverage, make changes to your coverage, and report claims.
The Insurance Consultant at MetLife can be contacted by dialing 1-800-GET-MET8 or 1-800-438-6388